No, it’s not a diet plan. It is so simple but requires some dedication–reading through the entire Bible every year. This is something I have done for many years and one of the best things I have ever done. The Psalmist said, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105 NKJV). It takes some diligence but it has great rewards. Here are a few reasons I do it:
- It is the Word of God. If someone you considered important wrote you a long letter, would you read it? Of course! God wrote us a letter and we need to read it over and over again.
- It is a living Word–it gives us life. Each day in the Word of God feeds our soul and strengthens us against the attacks of the enemy.
- There is much to be gained from methodically going through the Word of God continually. Those who wait for those spiritually inspired moments to read, probably do not read as much as they should. If we are a disciple then we need discipline in our lives.
- When I go through whole books of the Bible it gives me a better perspective of the history and message of the Bible. Cherry-picking verses or stories will not give me the full picture God has painted.
- What about the “begets”, you know those long list of genealogies? Yes, I read them all. The prayer of Jabez (1 Chronicles 4:10) is found in the midst of a list of genealogies. Often you need to sift through a lot of sand to get to a gold nugget.
- Truth becomes ingrained in my spirit and in my mind. People often misquote the Bible or erroneously attribute non-biblical adages as a passage in the Bible; I can usually catch those with a, “wait a minute, I don’t believe that is in the Bible”.
- I want to know my Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit as much as possible. By the way, reading and studying the Bible is a form of worship. Reading the Word of God is a great place to get to know God more and to worship Him.
We will soon turn our calendars over to January 2017. How about joining me on this journey of reading the entire Bible in 2017? There are many Bible reading plans available online and even print Bibles that are arranged with daily readings. We have a free Bible reading plan you can print or download here (it is designed to read the OT once and the NT twice per year).
My prayer: Lord, help me to ingest your Word so I can be strong in You. As I read your Word settle Your truth in my heart. Help me to understand Your Word so that my life will emit Your light.